Any readers out there live in (or previously lived in) Chicago? Chicago is on the short list of where the wife and I might be heading after we leave in Augusta. We are looking to leave Augusta as soon as November (upon our return from India), depending primarily on a certain job hunt.
Things I’d like to know include (but are not limited to):
- Where are the happening places to live?
- Given 1., which of these places are more affordable?
- Do you need a car or not?
- What’s the general political environment in Chicago? (Just curious)
- Is there much, if any, of a presence of web entrepreneurs in Chicago?
- How do Chicago-folks manage the bitterly cold winters? What do you do when you are compelled to stay inside?
- If you were a Chicago newbie when you got there, how’d you get to know folks?
- What are the central spots in Chicago? (This is similar to 1., I know)
- What’s the current economic feel in Chi-town? Is it full-on recession there yet?
Anything I’m not asking that should be asked?
The above questions — applied to Austin. Anyone live in Austin?